History of Black Hawk Police Department
In 1990 citizens of the State of Colorado approved limited stakes gaming, which began October 1, 1991.¬† Jerry Yocom, originally hired as City Marshal in 1991, became Black Hawk‚Äôs first official Police Chief when the Black Hawk Board of Alderman officially changed his¬†title from City Marshal to Police Chief. ¬†The City of Black Hawk has had three Police Chiefs since 1991; Jerry Yocom, Arthur Hutchison and current Police Chief, Stephen Cole. The first Black Hawk Police Department offices were originally located in a small house on Cooper Street and were moved¬†in 1992¬†to the newly remodeled City Hall offices on Selak Street, which now¬†serves as¬†the¬†main office of the¬†City Manager¬†and the City Clerk.¬† City Administrative offices were originally located upstairs while the police department provided services¬†downstairs.¬† By the end of 1992 the department had grown to 12 employees and was quickly outgrowing its new offices.¬† In 1997, the old school house located on Church Street, originally built in 1870, was renovated to accommodate the growth in the Police Department. ¬†The Police Department also added a new 911 Communications Center to handle police, fire, and ambulance calls in Black Hawk.¬† The Police Department, now¬†consisting of¬†34 employees,¬†is still located in the historic school house located at 211 Church Street.