Applicants for Police Officer must meet the following Qualifications:
- Modern approved principles and practices of police work.
- Controlling laws and ordinances, modern investigation and interviewing techniques.
- Crime scene processing procedures.
- First aid techniques
- Interact tactfully, firmly, and courteously with the public to obtain information through effective interviews and interrogation.
- Communicate clearly, concisely, and effectively, orally and in writing.
- Analyze situations quickly and objectively to determine the proper courses of action to be taken.
- Deescalate situations utilizing verbal skills.
- Use of equipment, firearms, and vehicles used in law enforcement work.
- Read, analyze, and interpret general Department periodicals, professional journals, policies, and procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Respond to common inquiries from the general public, citizens, regulatory, or law enforcement agencies.
- Write reports and business correspondence.
- Valid Colorado driver’s license with safe driving record.
- Certified as having successfully completed the basic course of an accredited police academy meeting Peace Officer Standards and Training requirements.
- Current First Aid and C.P.R. card.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at the time of appointment.
Automatic disqualifiers are as follows:
- Incomplete application;
- Omitting past employers, not listing all references;
- More than five traffic tickets in three years;
- Driver’s license suspension, revocation, or denial in the last; three years from the date of reinstatement;
- DUI or alcohol-related offense in the last five years;
- Violations of more than eight points or more in the last three years;
- Convictions of any kind prohibiting a POST certificate;
- Felony convictions;
- Domestic violence convictions including deferred sentences;
- Illegal marijuana use within the last two years;
- Illegal drug other than marijuana in the last five years; and
- Providing false or misleading information on the application or background questionnaire.