Welcome to Gregory Street Plaza, located in the heart of Black Hawk’s HARD District. This development was designed to provide a pedestrian-friendly retail shopping and entertainment venue in an open and inviting outdoor atmosphere. At an elevation of 8535, visitors to Gregory Street Plaza enjoy all that this mountain town offers—spectacular views, ideal summer weather, and picturesque winter scenes.
The moment a visitor steps onto the Plaza, it becomes clear that it is a special place—from the brick cobblestones underfoot to the ornate Howard Four-faced Reproduction Post Clock inscribed with the City's Founders’ names, and the beautifully preserved historic buildings that house retail shopping.
Gregory Street Plaza is home to several retail stores and even a chic wine bar, complete with shaded patio seating. As was the plan, it has become a hub for outdoor entertainment, starting with the first annual Founders’ Day Celebration in June—and what a celebration it was! Weekly live music throughout the summer months provides visitors with yet another reason to come enjoy all Gregory Street Plaza has to offer.
Signs depicting the town's history draw people in to learn little-known facts about the City, and benches are scattered throughout the Plaza, inviting visitors to relax and enjoy the spectacular flowers in the summer and beautiful decorations during the holiday season. The HARD District is the City of Black Hawk’s newest up-and-coming visitor destination. Learn more at https://blackhawkharddistrict.com/
In constructing Gregory Street Plaza, a new brick building was erected to house the Fire House Museum, which proudly displays historic firefighting equipment and memorabilia. This 1935 Chevrolet Truck is just one example of meticulously preserved historical sights to be found in the City of Black Hawk.
From Vision to Completion
Construction of Gregory Street Plaza began in September 2019. By the end of 2021, retail spaces were move-in ready. This project from construction to completion required a many-layered process, which included moving and reconstructing several historic buildings, and renovating and re-purposing several more, while carefully maintaining each building’s historical value and integrity. Along with the new Fire House Museum, new foundations were built to provide stability to old buildings; and even the historic Rocky Mountain Evangelical Free Church (circa 1869) on-site got an exterior refreshing during the construction process. Every relocation and renovation was executed with an eye for detail that preserves the historical authenticity of each building.
Contractors painstakingly restored the McAfee, Woodbury, and Norton Houses, as well as the Bobtail Mine building and Bunkhouse, to retain their historical value. The Bobtail Mine building will be used for ticket sales and a small museum when the City reopens the historic Bobtail Mine for tours. The Bunkhouse will be used as a set of restrooms. The Bunkhouse, also affectionately referred to as the 'Chicken Coop', was relocated approximately 750' up Gregory Street from its previous location.
This new building was built to house the City's 1935
fire truck and other historic Black Hawk
Fire Department memorabilia.
Bobtail Mine building
An aerial view of Gregory Street Plaza under construction